Fragrant tart plum since childhood is known, probably, to every inhabitant of our planet. The tender taste of this berry is loved by many, and many scientific treatises and popular articles have been written about its beneficial properties. However, there are often mentions of the possible harm from eating sweet purple fruits. So what are the benefits and harm of plum for human health? About this - further.
The chemical composition of the plum is extraordinarily rich in vitamins and trace elements essential for humans. Berries in large quantities contain:
- organic acids
- trace elements: potassium, calcium, phosphorus, fluorine,
- vitamins A, B, C, E, K, PP.
Since all the nutrients and vitamins in the plum are in an accessible form for assimilation, regular consumption of this berry in a reasonable amount will definitely have a beneficial effect on human health and well-being.
- Many of the stronger sex suffer from high cholesterol in the blood, often accompanying various cardiovascular diseases. The use of plum favorably affects the condition of the blood vessels, helps dissolve cholesterol plaques, and is also a preventive measure against atherosclerosis and thrombosis.
- The zinc contained in the berries makes it easier to cope with the stresses to which the male half of humanity is particularly susceptible. This trace element eliminates chronic fatigue, improves sleep quality.
- Plum is useful for men suffering from high blood pressure, the special substances contained in it contribute to the stabilization of pressure, saving from stroke and myocardial infarction.
- Vitamins of group B, as well as vitamin A, which plum is rich in, have an antioxidant effect on the woman's body, accelerating the regenerative processes in the tissues, helping to fight the signs of premature aging, improving skin, nails and hair.
- The active ingredients that make up the berries are able to fight cancer cells, not allowing them to spread in the body, especially for "female" diseases - breast tumors, cervical cancer.
- The beneficial properties of the plum can be used to normalize an unstable menstrual cycle, regular use of the fruit has a positive effect on the well-being of women during their periods.
- The slight diuretic effect of plums has a beneficial effect on the work of the kidneys, helping to eliminate puffiness.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
While waiting for the baby, the future mother should eat as diverse and balanced as possible, because during this difficult period the female body works for two.
A pregnant woman should include more fruits and berries in her diet in order to provide herself and her baby with the necessary vitamins and trace elements. Especially useful at this time to use plum (in the absence of individual intolerance).
Plum is rich in folic acid - the most important trace element for the normal development of the child. Vitamin E contained in the berry is necessary for the proper functioning of the placenta. Plum during pregnancy, accompanied by frequent constipation, effectively helps to eliminate the trouble with digestion.
In addition, the berry is rich in vitamin C, thanks to which the body's immune system is much more successfully resists viral infections.
With the birth of the baby, women who choose breastfeeding, once again completely rebuild their diet, refusing products that may harm the health of the baby.
Plum during breastfeeding, unlike many other fruits and berries, is not only permitted, but also indicated for consumption. It helps to normalize the work of the intestine after childbirth, improves mood, relieves fatigue from regular lack of sleep, nourishes the body with essential vitamins.
To include the berry in its menu, the nursing mother should be with some precautions. You can try plum when your baby is 3-4 months old. You should start with half of the fruit, eating in the first half of the day, after which you need to wait a day to understand how the child will react to the new product.
If during this time there were no negative reactions, the next day you can eat the whole plum and then gradually increase the number of fruits eaten to 3-4 pieces daily.
Type 1 diabetes obliges the patient to strictly follow their own diet, since sugar in any form can cause irreparable harm to its health. Fruits and berries that contain high levels of glucose and fructose can be dangerous for diabetics.
Is no exception and plum, its doctors forbid to eat almost every patient suffering from type 1 disease.
Plum in type 2 diabetes is most often resolved and even beneficial to the patient. Due to the high fiber content, glucose and fructose are absorbed by the body slowly, without causing significant sugar jumps in the blood, as evidenced by the low glycemic index of plums - only 22 units.
Berries saturate the body, weakened by the disease, with a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. It is only important to remember that the listed useful characteristics apply only to fresh fruits. It is out of the question to use diabetic sweetened compotes and jelly, jam, plum marshmallows.
Eating berries in diseases of the stomach always raises many questions. On the one hand, it is the richest source of vitamins and microelements, but on the other hand, they contain a lot of fiber, which is difficult to digest in case of problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Plum during gastritis is not recommended for people with increased acidity of the stomach, as it may contribute to increased secretion. At low acidity, it is allowed to use in a small amount of fresh berries, compotes, jelly or plum juice.
Before consuming the fruits, it is better to peel them so that the already inflamed gastric mucosa is not damaged.
In case of disorders in the pancreas, berries are eaten only if the disease is chronic. In this case, it is better to eat fresh plums for several pieces a day. Allowed to prepare from the fruit of unsweetened stewed fruit or jelly.
Abuse of berries is fraught with the appearance of severe diarrhea and excessive gas formation. Plum with acute pancreatitis is categorically excluded from the patient’s diet.
Treatment of gouty arthritis of the joints is always accompanied by a strict diet that excludes many foods from the patient’s diet. Plum with gout can be used in consultation with your doctor little by little and only during periods when the patient is not observed exacerbation of the disease.
This limitation is due to the fact that the use of large quantities of plums contributes to the active removal of fluid from the body and provokes an increase in urine concentration, thereby accelerating the process of salt deposition in diseased joints.
Plum for beauty and harmony
The low calorie content of the plum (only 42 Kcal per 100 g) makes it a welcome guest on the table of all those who watch the figure and do not tolerate the “presence” of extra kilograms and centimeters on their bodies.
Plum slimming copes with the role of dessert, replacing the useless candy and cookies. In addition, the fetus well cleanses the body from toxins and toxins, and also removes excess water, preventing the appearance of edema.
Drain during diet is irreplaceable: severe dietary restrictions deprive the body of essential vitamins and minerals, and berries can quickly compensate for the lack of important trace elements.
Fruits are not only eaten, but on their basis at home they prepare the most diverse cosmetics for skin care. Plum for the face - an excellent means of preventing wrinkles, flabbiness and pigmentation. Well removes dry skin and helps in the treatment of acne.
The plum mask suits any skin type, has practically no contraindications and is very easy to prepare:
- 2-3 tablespoons of plum puree mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey and a few drops of olive mask,
- The resulting mixture is applied to the skin with a thin layer for 5-15 minutes.
- To obtain a lasting effect, repeat the procedure every 2 weeks.
A light tonic or skin peeling agent is prepared from the plum juice. Natural cosmetics are well suited to any woman, but should not be used in case of allergies and the manifestation of diseases of the skin.
Who should not eat plum
Fruit acids contained in berries can aggravate the course of various inflammatory processes in the digestive system, therefore, contraindications for plums concern primarily those who suffer from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in an acute form (gastritis, pancreatitis, etc.). So people need to completely eliminate these fruits.
With particular care should be used plum at night, because the fiber in combination with a large number of fruit sugars can provoke fermentation processes in the intestine, accompanied by increased gas formation, a feeling of heaviness, and sometimes pain in the abdomen.
And those who suffer from frequent intestinal disorders should generally eliminate the plum from the diet, since the laxative effect exerted by it will only worsen the state of health, and in severe cases it can even contribute to dehydration.
Another contraindication to the use of berries can be a plum allergy. This phenomenon is extremely rare, but if fruit intolerance has already been identified, they should be completely excluded.
It is contraindicated in the discharge of nursing mothers, if after its use the child has colic, excessive gas formation or upset stool. When this reaction is caused by this particular product, its use should be postponed for at least several months.
How to save plum for the winter
The harvest of fragrant berries collected in our own garden or purchased at a nearby store is so eager to keep longer so that with the onset of cold weather you can enjoy the gifts of summer and replenish your vitamins, especially those needed by the body in winter.
Storing plums for a long period does not present any particular difficulties if you follow a few simple recommendations.
In the common cooling chamber of the refrigerator, the fruits, laid out in clean paper bags, can lie for about two weeks without spoiling. If the plums are sent to the freezer, they can be stored there for several months without loss of quality and useful properties.
When it is not possible to freeze the plum, compote, jam, marshmallow or even wine is prepared from it. You can simply dry the fruit in the oven or electric drier: in this form, the drain will not lose its taste and aroma in the next 3-4 months.
For any storage option, the fruit should be moderately ripe, without damage and stains on the skin. Previously, all the berries need to be washed and dried, and only after carrying out these procedures, proceed to the laying of the storage or preparation of blanks.
No matter how carefully the fruits are stored, the longer they lie, the less pronounced their aroma and taste become, so it’s best to eat fresh berries, and the benefits of plums for the human body are much more noticeable when the fruits have not yet had to undergo any additional processing.
Ingredients and calorie plums
Plum is a famous, nutritious summer fruit, very juicy and sweet to the taste. This fruit has American, Japanese, European varieties, the most diverse color palette from almost black to yellow and is widely used throughout the world.
Plum is rich in a variety of useful substances, including:
- Potassium reduces the risk of stroke and hypertension.
- Vitamin K prevents inflammation, increases insulin sensitivity.
- Vitamin A an active participant in the biochemical processes of the body's immune system, increases the barrier function of the mucous membranes, is important for vision.
- Cellulose necessary for digestion. It contains more dried plums.
- Polyphenols - Antioxidants that reduce the formation of cancer cells. They are responsible for the acid content and can affect the flavor and color of the fruit.
- Iron necessary for normal functioning of the circulatory system of the body.
- One medium sized plum contains 30 calories.
- Plums help maintain heart health. Dark plums contain more antioxidants, called anthocyanins, which prevent cell damage due to their anti-inflammatory effects. They also contain other polyphenolic compounds, such as lutein and cryptoxanthin. These compounds additionally contribute to the reduction of oxidative stress in cells.
- Plums rich in fiber. The compounds of sorbitol and isatin, found in them, help maintain intestinal function. Sorbitol is a natural laxative that helps the colon to absorb water and stimulate bowel movement, thereby preventing constipation. Isatin helps regulate the function of the digestive system.
- Plums useful for cancer prevention, especially breast cancer, gastrointestinal tract. Anthocyanins (reddish-blue pigments of the fetus) protect against cancer by washing away the free radicals present. It is also known that vitamin A, which is abundant in plums, protects against oral cancer.
- Plums - rich source of vitamins, especially vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for healthy eyes and acute vision, protects against macular degeneration. Plums not only protect the eye membrane, but also protect the eyes from damage caused by ultraviolet light.
- Eating plums will help improve bone health, especially in postmenopausal women. Vitamin K can reduce bone loss in women during menopause, due to the presence of phenolic and flavonoids compounds. The fruit also contains boron, which plays an important role in maintaining bone density.
- Plum possesses high ability to help the absorption of iron in the body. This ability is due to the high content of vitamin C. Iron is useful for the formation of erythrocytes or erythrocytes, improves blood circulation in the body, preventing anemia.
- Pretty low glycemic index The fruit helps control blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Plums are rich source of potassiumwhich is an important component of cells and biological fluids. This can help in monitoring heart rate. Thanks to fiber, it also maintains a healthy blood pressure level, which reduces cholesterol levels. Plums also contain vitamin B6, which prevents an increase in homocysteine levels, reducing the likelihood of a heart attack.
- Antioxidants in the composition of the fruit, they combat the signs of aging, rejuvenate the skin, reduce traces of scars, and promote the speedy healing of wounds.
Side effects and harm
Consuming large quantities of plums can cause a number of side effects:
- Many people have food fructose intoleranceand this condition can lead to painful cramps in the abdomen along with diarrhea.Plums are natural laxatives and contain sorbitol - a laxative compound, so even people who do not have fructose intolerance may have diarrhea after eating a lot of fruit.
- One of the side effects is that the fruit (especially in dried form) has high calorific valuetherefore it is possible to add extra calories to the diet. And as you know, an excess of calories is converted into fat.
- Plums are made up of complex carbohydrates and sugarswhich are not completely destroyed in the digestive tract. Thus, when the sugars reach the colon, the bacteria begin to feed on these undigested carbohydrates. These bacteria are responsible for causing bloating and gas formation.
- A rich amount of natural sugar can cause blood sugar jump with excessive use.
- Plums or prunes are commonly used as irritable laxatives. However, people who suffer from frequent constipation should not completely rely on them to clean the digestive system, since this can cause laxative dependence and withdrawal symptoms may appear after a certain period of use. Some of the withdrawal symptoms include weight gain, constipation, and fluid retention.
- In dry plums present high acrylamide concentration. Acrylamide is considered a carcinogen and neurotoxin. It is believed that the moderate use of dried plums is relatively safe in terms of causing neuropathic harm to any person.
Nutritional Facts and Uses
Plum can be used both fresh and for the preparation of various dishes: fruit salads, compotes, jams, juices, dried fruits.
Plums that are purchased for fresh consumption should be soft enough and have sweet scent. Avoid buying fruit with wrinkled or broken skin.
For canning, it is better to buy hard fruits (if it is red plum, most of it should be red, if black, the surface should be almost completely black).
To maintain health, it is recommended to eat daily no more than 250 g of plums, which can include 100% fruit juices, as well as dried fruit. A serving of dried plums is half a cup. It is always better to start with a smaller portion of 4-5 plums, and then gradually increase consumption to avoid side effects for digestion.
- prevents early aging of body tissues,
- removes toxic substances, radionuclides,
- eliminates excessive slagging,
- cleans the skin from the inside,
- protects against cancer, heart attack, asthma, arthritis,
- acts as a diuretic,
- has a laxative effect,
- regulates the digestive system,
- fights chronic intestinal obstruction,
- boosts immunity
- removes bad cholesterol from the blood,
- warns atherosclerosis, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis,
- improves visual acuity, improves eye health, wets an apple,
- stops blood circulation and increases blood flow
- controls the work of the heart muscle,
- reduces the likelihood of heart attacks,
- increases all metabolic processes
- promotes weight loss and fights obesity,
- controls the hormonal environment of men, women.
Indications for taking plums
- high body temperature, fever,
- seasonal avitaminosis,
- naturally low immune system
- diseases associated with the release of large amounts of bile,
- liver failure,
- Slagged organism
- diseases of the digestive system,
- diseases of the heart muscle
- poor appetite
- excess weight,
- inflammation in the mouth,
- hormonal imbalance,
- fallen eyesight
- swelling of limbs and tissues.
The benefits of plums for the intestines
- Plum in fresh or dried form, as well as compotes and fruit drinks based on it, has a slight laxative and diuretic effect. Due to this, the intestinal tract is cleaned, constipation is eliminated. Also, draining helps remove swelling and heaviness from the feet.
- For constipation, the dried plum is mixed with oats in a ratio of 3 to 1. Then the composition is poured with boiling water and infused for 1 hour. The mixture is consumed after filtering 80-100 ml. three times a day.
- To get rid of puffiness, use 2 prunes of plum every day. You can dry this amount of fruit and make concoctions on their basis. Such a course normalizes the water-salt balance and increases metabolism.
The benefits of plum for weight loss
- Fruits often include obesity categories on the daily menu. Plum is used to eliminate extra pounds. Fruit removes salt and excess water, thereby breaking down fats.
- Plum controls carbohydrate metabolism, not allowing glucose to be deposited on the waist and hips. Carbohydrates are transformed into energy, not fat folds.
- Since the plum has a laxative effect, weight loss is achieved through a comprehensive cleansing of the body from slagging and toxic compounds. Against this background, increase metabolic processes.
- There are several types of diets based on plum. A quick technique is to eat 1 kg. fruit throughout the day. Course - 2 days. Be sure to diet must be accompanied by abundant drinking.
- The usual method of weight loss lies in the exclusion of fatty, salty, fried and other "harmful" dishes and diets. In this case, before each meal, you must take 200 ml. juice from plums.
- Despite the low calorie content, there are many saccharides in the plum. Do not abuse the product, each consumption must be strictly dosed. Combine the plum with other seasonal berries and fruits.
The benefits of plums for women
- Plum is a fruit that preserves youth. On its basis, various peels, masks, lotions are often prepared, which improve the condition of the skin.
- Fruits are responsible for accelerated tissue regeneration. Due to this, it is possible to lubricate with plum traces of acne and acne, cuts, microcracks.
- Fruits are necessary for girls who watch their figure. With daily intake, the drain cleans the entire body and prevents many ailments.
- Coarse-type dietary fiber accelerates metabolic processes. Due to this, food is absorbed faster and is not stored in unwanted places.
- The fruit contains many antioxidants that eliminate the harmful effects of radionuclides and toxic substances. On this basis, the prevention of cancer of the uterus and mammary glands.
The benefits of plums for men
- The male half of the population more often than women suffers from high cholesterol in the blood and following heart diseases. Plum uncorks the blood channels and removes plaques from their cavity. All this leads to the prevention of atherosclerosis, thrombosis and other ailments of this type.
- Plum calms the psycho-emotional environment. This quality is extremely appreciated by people who regularly face stress factors. Only 5 fruits per day will help calm down and sleep soundly.
- The fruit helps men who abuse alcohol to keep the liver in order and clean it from ethanol in time. On this basis, bad cholesterol is eliminated along with an excess of bile.
- It also helps to contain blood pressure and prevent its surges. Fruits improve peristalsis and intestinal microflora, reduce the likelihood of myocardial infarction, stroke, coronary artery disease.
The benefits of plums for children
- Interestingly, the plum contains all the mineral compounds, organic acids and vitamins that are needed by the younger generation.
- Plums and compotes from it should be drunk to children during the spring and autumn spread of infections. The composition will help raise the body's defenses.
- The product gently cleanses the intestinal tract, improves cravings for food, normalizes body weight with its excess. Plum is recommended for children who are infected with worms.
- If the child is being treated with medicines, prepare decoctions of dried prunes. So you improve the effect of drugs and cleanse the child's body of toxins.
The benefits and harm of plums for pregnant women
- During pregnancy, the plum can and should be included in the diet. The fruit is rich in folic acid and is necessary for the proper formation of the fetus. Thanks to potassium, the body gets rid of excess fluid, as a result of which the swelling of the limbs disappears.
- Dietary fibers that make up the product, actively stimulate the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. From here, constipation and abdominal discomfort disappear. The presence of ascorbic acid in plums helps the body to resist viral infections. Diseases during gestation are extremely undesirable.
- The systematic intake of fruit during pregnancy helps the expectant mother to stabilize blood pressure. High blood pressure can harm the baby, be careful. The rest of the plum may be contraindicated in its individual intolerance. Abuse of fruit leads to diarrhea, flatulence and indigestion.
- It is forbidden to consume immature plums, otherwise there will be pain in the gastrointestinal tract.
- In the lactation period of the newly-made mother it is not recommended to include the product in the diet. You run the risk of constipation and diarrhea in your baby. Next, the plum is allowed to enter into the menu of the child gradually from 3 years. Give 1 fruit per day.
Daily rate of plums
- When you include plums in the diet should be aware that the fruits have a pronounced laxative and diuretic effect. In this case, the abuse of fruit can play a cruel joke with you. Keep in mind that the daily rate of the product is calculated individually.
- Plum reaction can be unpredictable. The average for a healthy adult is about 250 grams per day. During pregnancy, experts recommend eating no more than 4 fruits per day. In the case of chronic illnesses, admission is allowed after consultation with the doctor.
The benefits of plum pits
- In eastern medicine, demand plum stones. A large number of medicines is prepared on their basis. In addition, in the fight against bronchitis, a strong cough and oncology will help plum tincture.
- Plum stones and their kernels are in demand in folk medicine. This product has a high content of amygdalin. Together with the digestive tract enzymes, hydrocyanic acid is formed. Substance is extremely dangerous for humans in large doses. Heat treatment kills all harmful substances.
- It is important to know that long-term storage of canned compotes and products with stones is not recommended. It is better to dry the fruit or freeze. Thus, plums can be stored for a long time. Vegetable and essential oils are obtained from the pits, which are no less popular in cosmetology.
- The finished composition is a strong antioxidant. The aroma of the oil resembles the tart smell of bitter almond. In folk medicine, plum kernels are in demand. The product is consumed daily in a certain amount. Before the course is to consult with a specialist.
- Plum bones can be dangerous to humans if used improperly. Therefore, the doctor often prohibits them. If you adhere to practical recommendations, then in a short time you will significantly improve your health, clean the fabrics from slagging and improve your overall well-being.
- If you are diagnosed with pancreatitis, plums are allowed in the diet only without skin. The fact is that the peel is rich in coarse fiber and organic acids. Enzymes are extremely undesirable in case of illness of the acute form of the stomach and pancreas.
- It is forbidden to eat plums for gout and rheumatism. As a result of taking the fruits cause some dehydration of the body, so the course of ailments can deteriorate sharply, there will be severe pain.
- If you are prone to obesity, to abandon the fruit completely is not worth it. The only thing that needs to be done is to limit consumption. When diabetes is worth being careful, the drain contains a large amount of glucose. Therefore, before including fruits in the diet, talk to your doctor.
- You should not try plums kids less than 3 years. Fruits can cause severe discomfort in the child’s gastrointestinal tract. Adult people are also not recommended to consume fruit in immeasurable quantities.
- When choosing a plum, give preference only to ripe fruits, the unripe ones will cause a number of troubles. It is forbidden to eat the product with diarrhea and diarrhea. The flow of problems at times worsen. In cholelithiasis, plums are also contraindicated.
Plum - quite controversial fruit for the human body. Yet it is worth understanding that the product will bring a person more benefits than harm. The main requirement remains a reasonable consumption of fruits per day. When you include plums in your daily diet, you will significantly improve your health and strengthen your immune system.
Plum - a source of beauty
In the cosmetic industry, plum is not used very often and completely in vain - this fruit contains a lot of useful elements and vitamins that have a beneficial effect on the skin.
But at home it is often used - masks from plums - a real source of beauty. At the same time, they are easy to prepare, and the effect of them is amazing.
Plum Mask - Recipes
- 20 gr. brew the leaves of the plum tree with 1 liter of boiling water, cool, strain, let stand for a day. It is possible to wipe the skin of the face with such a decoction 2 times after washing,
- 1 tbsp. l tree bark boil in water for 10 minutes. Cool broth, strain - skin lotion is ready.
Plum - a fruit plant, belongs to the family of Pink. It grows in the form of a spreading tree with an egg-shaped crown. The height of individual instances reaches 15 meters. Among the cultural hybrids there are bushy varieties.
The main root - tap, goes deep into the soil. Most of the roots are at a depth of no more than half a meter. The bark is brown, with a brown tinge or gray, the edges of elliptical leaves are serrate or crenate.
It blooms in late spring with numerous, small white flowers. After flowering the fruit is formed. Mature plums are yellow, red, blue, purple, almost black, greenish. The flesh is juicy, depending on the ripeness of the variety - sweet or sour.
Selection of fruits
The choice depends on the purpose of the acquisition. For food they buy fully ripened, soft plums - they are the most sweet and juicy. For storage, cooking compote and jam, choose dense fruits - they better keep their shape in the blanks, do not spoil the next day. When choosing plums are guided by three common indicators.
- Ripeness To the touch the fruit is rather soft, but not crumpled. The exceptions are varieties that remain firm even in full ripeness.
- Peel. The quality of the fruit peel has a uniform color without spots. On its surface there are no dents, cracks, signs of rotting.
- Aroma. From ripe plums comes a pleasant fruity aroma.
At home, fresh plums are stored for a short time - they quickly over-sing, start to deteriorate. To extend the shelf life using four methods of storage.
- In the boxes. Slightly unripe plums are wrapped in paper, laid in shallow boxes in one layer. Keep in a well-ventilated, dark, cool room. Shelf life - a few days.
- In a refrigerator . Immature plums are packed in plastic bags, measuring one and a half to two kilograms, are removed in the fruit compartment. Periodically, the packets are sorted, they lay ripe fruits. Shelf life in the refrigerator - up to three weeks.
- Frost. Plums are washed, dried, cut in half, removed bones. Put in containers or plastic bags, clean in the freezer. Frozen fruits are stored without loss of properties for up to a year.
- Drying Excess fruit is used to make prunes. Plums are sorted, washed, dried. To reduce drying time for 30 seconds, blanch in boiling water with the addition of a small amount of soda (10 g per liter of water). Fruits are washed, wiped with a paper towel. Dried in the sun, in the oven or electric drier.
The beneficial properties of plums due to its rich composition. It includes many vitamins, trace elements, fiber, sugars and other valuable substances. Data on the nutritional value and caloric content of the fruit are given in the table.
Table - Nutritional value and calorie plum
|Nutritional value per 100 g||g||Calories per 100 g||kcal|
|Cellulose||1,48||Jam of plums||287|
Due to its rich chemical composition, plum is considered a useful product for vitamin deficiency. In the table you can see which vitamins are contained in the plum.
Table - Vitamins, micro and macro elements in the composition of plums
|Vitamin name||mg per 100 g||Trace elements||mg per 100 g||Macronutrients||mg per 100 g|
The benefits of plums and medicinal properties
Plum is used to strengthen the immune system, the treatment of various diseases. It is known to many as a mild laxative. The following medicinal properties of plums are especially appreciated.
- Strengthening immunity. The complex of nutrients enhances the body's defensive reaction, helps to resist viruses and infections.
- Normalization of metabolism. The combination of fiber and organic acids helps to normalize metabolic processes.
- Hemoglobin increase. Iron in fresh fruit and prunes contributes to a more rapid recovery of hemoglobin levels in anemia.
- Improved bowel performance. Due to the abundance of fiber, mild laxative action fruits help with constipation, intestinal atony.
- Help the heart. Plums contain a lot of potassium, essential for heart health. They have a slight diuretic effect, lower blood pressure.
- Prevention of atherosclerosis. Useful pulp strengthens blood vessels, reduces cholesterol, normalizes blood circulation.
- Removal of toxins. Plum helps cleanse the body of toxins and toxins, improves the condition of the liver, kidneys, bladder.
- Strengthen the nervous system. The B vitamins have a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous system.
- Thrombosis prevention. Coumarins slightly dilute the blood, reduce the likelihood of blood clots.
- Healing wounds. Plum leaves have healing properties. They make lotions, applying to wounds and ulcers.
- Oncology prevention. Plums contain a substance that destroys cancer cells and prevents them from developing. Fresh fruits are used as a preventive and adjuvant in the treatment of cancer.
Contraindications and side effects
Plum - a useful, natural product. In most cases, the fruit improves health, but sometimes can be harmful. There is a list of diseases in which their use is undesirable. Contraindications plum shown in the table.
Table - Contraindications to the use of plums
|Kind of plum||Contraindications|
|Fresh fruit and natural juice||- Individual intolerance, |
|Sour varieties||Gastritis with increased acidity of gastric juice|
|Dried fruit||- Children's age up to 6 months, |
|Decoction of leaves||Low blood clotting|
Harm plums much less than good. In the presence of contraindications, it is necessary to refrain from its use or to eat in minimal quantities. A large number of eaten plums can give side effects even in a healthy person - diarrhea, flatulence, pain in the epigastric region.
Preparation of medicines
All parts of a plant have medicinal properties - fruits, plum blossoms, leaves, wood, bark. They are used for the preparation of various medicines. Recipes and indications for use are given in the table.
Table - Plum Medicines
|Medicine||Cooking method||Indications||Mode of application|
|Strong decoction of leaves||2 tablespoons of leaves pour a glass of water, insist||- purulent wounds, |
|- Make lotions |
- rub the skin,
- twice a day, gargling.
|Weak decoction of leaves||1 tablespoon of raw materials pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist||- Periodontal disease, |
- diseases of the kidneys, bladder
|- Rinse your mouth, |
- take half a cup three times a day
|Bark decoction||- 1 teaspoon of bark is poured with a glass of hot water, |
- half an hour tormented on a water bath,
- filtered, add boiled water to the original volume
|- Diarrhea, |
- whites in women
|- Take a third of the cup three times a day, |
- used as an external agent
- perform douching
|Wood decoction||1 teaspoon of wood is poured with boiling water, infused, filtered||- Heat, |
|Take a third of the glass at a temperature of|
|Decoction of flowers||25 g of flowers brewed as tea in a glass of water||- Constipation |
- intestinal colic,
- shortness of breath,
|Take half a glass inside three times a day.|
|Plum juice||Plums knead, squeeze juice||- Giardiasis |
- cardiovascular diseases
|Drink 2-3 glasses of juice per day|
A three-day mono-diet on plums helps to quickly lose weight by a couple of pounds. The diet menu consists of a kilogram of plums and at least one and a half liters of liquid. It is allowed to drink pure water without gas and unsweetened green tea. The diet is repeated twice a month.
With obesity, not fast, but a stable result is needed - the weight loss tactics change. Every week they arrange one unloading day. The nutrition menu is the same as during the three-day diet. Fasting days are repeated until the desired result is achieved. On average, a month goes from three to four kilograms.
To cleanse the body
Diet to cleanse the body of toxins and is designed for two months. During this time, adhere to the following diet.
- Breakfast Fasting drink a glass of freshly prepared plum juice without adding sugar.
- Second breakfast Half an hour after breakfast, one rusk is eaten.
- The rest of the meals. During the rest of the day, they follow a normal diet.
Application in cosmetology
Plum is often used in cosmetology - facials are made of it. Antioxidants slow down the aging process, a complex of vitamins and minerals nourishes the skin with nutrients, reduces inflammation. Below are four recipe masks.
- From wrinkles. The pulp of ripe plums is crushed, mixed with a teaspoon of honey and egg yolk.
- From fat content. Two fruit mash in puree, add a teaspoon of white wine, grated carrots, sour apples, pour in egg white.
- For acne. Pound two boiled plums, add a teaspoon of onion juice and garlic. Hold no more than five minutes or put a point.
- From freckles and age spots. From fresh plums make gruel, mixed with sour milk. Fruit and lactic acids act as a peeling, slightly lighten freckles and age spots.
In cooking, plums are used to make desserts, drinks, sauces. A vivid example is the Georgian Tkemali sour plum sauce. Prepare a plum for the winter can be in the form of jam and compote.
Description. From ripe plums fragrant jam turns out, from dense fruits - beautiful jam. For flavor, cinnamon and star anise are added to sweetness.
- plums - 1.5 kg,
- sugar - 1.5 kg,
- water - 0.5 l,
- cinnamon - 1 stick,
- Badian - two pieces.
- Dissolve sugar in water, bring to a boil, turn off the gas.
- Plums are divided into halves, removed bones.
- Put spices into the syrup, pour out the plums, leave the container for four hours.
- Put on the stove, bring to a boil, boil at minimum heat for ten minutes.
- They catch the spices, the jam is poured into the banks, rolled up.
Description. Compote plums different saturated taste. The beverage retains most of the beneficial properties of raw fruits. If desired, the recipe can be supplemented with orange or lemon zest. Fruit compote - delicious filling for pies.
- plums - 1 kg,
- sugar - 400 g,
- water - one liter.
- Fruits are washed, cut, cleaned bones.
- Banks fill plum approximately two thirds.
- Boil water, dissolve sugar in it.
- Plums poured hot syrup, the banks immediately roll, turn.
- Wrap, leave to cool.
Common use of plums in traditional medicine as a tonic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, laxative. In moderation, the fruits bring absolute benefits to the body. Plum treatment usually does not require consultation with the doctor if there are no clearly expressed contraindications.
Reviews: “Excellent cleans the body”
I love both fresh plum and prune. I like fresh because it is just delicious, and prunes cleanse the body perfectly. The truth is not to eat a lot, because it is enough calorie and easily you can gain weight. But the truth is to brush enough to eat only 4-5 pieces of prunes.
Plum just adore, past the plum in the store, I can not get through. I often have a plum instead of candy. I always drain the skin without the skin, only the flesh. I can eat this fruit a lot, especially if the plum is very ripe. You know what effect, from the usual plum I do not occur, such a reaction happens only when eating prunes. Plum comes in a variety of colors, red, blue, purple and even yellow. I don’t remember that the taste quality of the plum somehow depended on the color, rather they strongly depend on ripeness. I tried a lot of different varieties of plums. Plums make excellent compotes and very tasty jam. I also like the flavor of these blanks, although the fresh plum smells great. I also like candied plum halves with unsweetened tea, delicious yummy. Dried plum is also good.
The benefits of plums for the human body
The main benefit of fresh plums is its effect on the digestive tract. With the help of this fruit is a gentle cleansing of the stomach and the normalization of the intestinal activity.
The question of whether the drain is strengthened or weakened has long been tested in practice and has an unequivocal answer. Due to the acids in the fruit that irritate the stomach walls, it has a mild laxative effect.
The weak diuretic effect of the fruit helps to cleanse the kidneys and the excretory system as a whole.
In addition, the fruit is rich in vitamins and trace elements, which are important for the body. Of particular note is its positive effect on the circulatory and cardiovascular systems. The substances contained in it are P-vitamin composition normalize blood pressure. The coumarins that make up the fruit help in the prevention of thrombosis.
The fruit is considered useful in atherosclerosis, as it cleans the walls of blood vessels and partially removes cholesterol deposits.
The benefits of black plum is a greater concentration of vitamin B2, which normalizes protein metabolism and restores the nervous system.
For the body of a woman
For the female body, the fruit will be useful in case of the following health problems:
- with constipation
- metabolic disorders,
The latter is especially important because, due to menstruation, a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the blood is often observed in the body of women. The iron contained in the plum is able to provide effective adjuvant therapy for this disease.
In addition, plums are used by women for weight loss and in cosmetology. The use of fruits in various cosmetic recipes stimulates collagen synthesis and leads to skin rejuvenation.
Is drainage useful during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
The question of the use of plums during pregnancy and lactation has not yet been clarified. On the one hand, the presence of nutrients (vitamin complex and iron with calcium) is very good for the mother and child, on the other hand, the high activity of plum components can cause both discomfort and even cause serious disorders.
Therefore, it is now recommended to use plums, only starting from the second month of breastfeeding, and do it gradually, watching the reaction of the baby and the mother's body.
For men's health
Plum is useful for men primarily due to the acceleration of metabolism in the body and the overall increase in tone. Fruits contain a lot of calcium, which has a beneficial effect on the male bone system, to a greater extent than the female, subject to physical exertion.
It is believed that the use of plums additionally stimulates the production of testosterone and improves the functioning of the prostate gland.
For the elderly
Beneficial for the elderly in the sink will be primarily its cleansing actions, relating both to the gastrointestinal tract and to the cardiovascular system (treatment and prevention of atherosclerosis).
No less important is the high content of calcium, which is so necessary for the skeletal system of the elderly, since with age the bones become fragile.
Can children plums and at what age
In its pure form, the benefits of plums for babies at a too early age are questionable. Even the most radical nutritionists recommend introducing the first plum supplement after 6 months, and that provided that before that other vegetable foods were introduced.
Classical schools of nutritionists generally do not recommend the introduction of plum foods before 9 months. In this case, the plum should be given not in its pure form, but in the form of a compote of dried fruit (prunes). The transition to plum puree is recommended around the age of 1 year. Such caution is due to the high allergenicity of the plum for the child and the immaturity of his digestive tract.
In exceptional cases, to fight against constipation at an early age, it is allowed to use a decoction of prunes even from 4 months, but in very small doses and after consultation with a pediatrician or doctor, as well as under their constant supervision.
The benefits of plum for weight loss
Plum can be used for weight loss due to its cleansing properties. In addition, there are several diets based on this fruit. In particular, the well-known plum diet, the essence of which consists of two discharge plum days, which can be repeated no earlier than once every two weeks.
Such a diet allows for a few days to lose about 1.5 kg of excess fat. The diet is considered to be strict, that is, during the fasting days only one product is used. At the same time it is allowed to use non-caloric liquids. Most often in the role of those are tea or mineral water.
For a diet during each of the two days of unloading it is necessary to use the following products:
- fresh plums - 1 kg,
- water (you can use slightly acidic mineral water without gas) - 1.5 liters,
- tea (green or herbal, black is extremely undesirable) - up to 1 l.
Fruits for this diet should be selected according to the following criteria:
- be sure to be ripe
- if possible, choose varieties with a low sugar content,
- should not be too sour.
Fruits are washed, dried and divided into 5 parts, and then eaten throughout the day at regular intervals. Similarly divided into 5 parts and liquids.It is preferable to drink tea 30 minutes before discharge, water - 30 minutes after.
Instead of plums for one or two meals, you can use plum juice.
In the following days (at least 5-7), it is necessary to adhere to the following rules for eating: refuse sweet and farinaceous dishes, alcoholic beverages and fast food. It is desirable to minimize the consumption of fried foods.
In addition, the last meal (dinner, but better afternoon tea) should be replaced with a portion of fresh plums, washing them down with tea and water, as on a fasting day.
The use of plums in traditional medicine
The use of fruit in traditional medicine repeats its use in traditional.
In its raw form, fruits are used to improve the functioning of the intestines, to cleanse the body and improve well-being.
Broths from leaves and branches are used to treat wounds, prevent diseases of the upper respiratory tract, and also to clean the kidneys.
Juices and compotes are usually used in cases where there is no need to clean the intestines with fiber, etc.
Plum masks for face and hair
The chemical composition of the fruit makes it an indispensable tool for restoring the skin, as well as to strengthen the hair.
The easiest way to use masks is to apply on the face of crushed fruit pulp, where it is aged for about 20 minutes.
Mask for the skin with a cleansing effect is done as follows: the pulp of 2-3 fruits is peeled and kneaded to a state of gruel. It added 1 tbsp. l onion juice and 1 minced clove of garlic. Mask is applied on steamed skin, where it is aged for 15 minutes, then washed off with warm water.
The hair mask is made like this: the juice of 6 plums is pressed out and 1 tsp is added to it. starch and honey, as well as 0.5 tsp. yogurt Everything is thoroughly mixed and applied to the hair for 30 minutes. After the procedure, the mask is washed off with shampoo.
How can you eat plums
Plums can be used in the most diverse form. It can be raw fruits, desserts made from them, jams, preserves. There are many flour dishes filled with plums. The benefits of plum jam are not inferior to those of raw plums, and to eat something vitamin in the winter, and, besides, it is very nice to eat.
There are also many exotic dishes, mainly confectioneries. These include plums in syrup, plums with nuts and sugar, lozenges from plums and much more. But among them there are not quite the usual combinations: for example, marinated plums and plums with lemon, used as a side dish for meat dishes.
Plum compote and plum juice are very popular.
The fruit has the unique property of preserving almost all the useful qualities during heat treatment. There are about a dozen ways of canning plums.
The benefits and harm of plum juice
Juice repeats all the positive (as well as negative) properties of the plum. However, in its application it should be remembered that due to the removal of the solid fraction, the concentration of most of the components that make up the fruit increases significantly.
This imposes restrictions on the amount of juice, which can be applied during the day without consequences. It is believed that the daily dose of plum juice should not exceed 300 ml, while it is recommended to use no more than 100 ml at a time. Calorie plum juice is 39 kcal, that is, almost 20% less than that of raw fruit.
The benefits of plum compote also almost completely echo the benefits of raw plums. However, due to heat treatment and the addition of sugar, its calorific value will be two times higher than that of raw fruit (almost 100 kcal). This should be considered for people with obesity and metabolic disorders.
Plum stones: use and application
The oil contained in the bones is a good remedy for ascariasis, but it is not recommended to apply them without special cleaning, which cannot be done at home.
In order for the oil to produce its therapeutic effect, it should be consumed quite a lot, up to several grams. In this case, the amount of cyanide injected into the body will be a health hazard. That is why to use the bones or independently squeezed oil from them is prohibited.
For therapeutic purposes only industrial plum seed oil is allowed to be consumed. So it will be possible to avoid deadly components.
The benefits of plum leaves and twigs
The leaves and branches of the plum are used to prepare decoctions and infusions that help in the treatment of injuries of various types: both internal and external. These decoctions are used in cases of:
- periodontal disease,
- long healing wounds,
- wounds that have purulent discharge,
- inflammation of the kidneys and bladder,
- microtraumas of the upper respiratory tract when coughing and catarrhal diseases.
The broth is prepared as follows: in one liter of boiling water for 20-30 minutes 150-200 g leaves or young plum branches are brewed. Then it is filtered, cooled and used for washing wounds or ingestion.
The benefits of yellow plum
The benefit of this fruit is primarily in the increased concentration of potassium and pectin. Potassium has a beneficial effect on the heart and circulatory system as a whole. It also enhances the diuretic effect of fruit in comparison with the usual garden plum.
The increased concentration of pectins contribute to the elimination of a greater amount of toxins and waste products from the body.
How to store and choose the plum
When choosing a plum, first of all, pay attention to the appearance of the fruit, in particular its uniform color. Fully ripened fruits are darker and softer, but they must regain their shape after a light touch. Ripe fruits have a characteristic taste and aroma.
Plums do not always ripen in a torn state, so you should not take even a little unripe fruit.
When selecting, discard fruit with cracks, dents and stains.
It is possible to store plum in the refrigerator no more than 5 days. If the product needs to be frozen, then it should be washed and freed from stones. Freezing in the freezer is best done by putting the fruit in plastic containers.
The benefits of frozen plums are the same as for fresh ones, because when frozen, even at home, due to the cellular structure of the fruit, the fruit retains all its properties.
The benefits and harms of plums are well researched and documented. This delicious fruit has many beneficial properties and has a cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the body. However, one should not forget about contraindications - fruits contain a large number of chemically active substances, the effect of which on the body can be varied.