The muscles of the back and spine need strengthening. They are a support for the whole body, allow you to maintain internal organs, prevent the curvature of the spine. To keep muscles in shape, it is necessary to perform special exercises. The most effective of these is reverse hyperextension.
Pros of reverse hyperextension
Compared to classic hyperextension, reverse hyperextension is a safer option. Performing this exercise eliminates the risk of injury to the spinal column.
The complex can be practiced by people suffering from back pain, from various diseases of the spine, including patients with hernia and osteochondrosis.
During the exercise, not only the back muscles, but also the muscle structures of the buttocks and lower extremities are worked out. If you perform a reverse hyperextension with weights, then you will be able to get a faster result.
Before starting the exercise, you should consult with a specialist. This is especially true for those people who already have diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Exercise is great for both beginners and experienced athletes. It can be practiced by girls who want to pump up their buttocks.
How to do the exercise?
Before embarking on an exercise, you should take care of the presence of a flat, level surface on which you can lie on your stomach, and your legs to hang down. This surface should be located at the height of the length of the human legs.
Step by step technique:
It is necessary to lie on a flat surface belly down. In this case, the body should be fixed with the help of hands.
Lower limbs lift up due to the muscles of the thigh and buttocks.
When inhaling, they are raised as high as possible. The muscles of the thighs and buttocks should be as tense as possible.
In this position, you should linger for a minute, and then legs down. At the same time make exhalation.
The number of repetitions of exercise is 12-15. Then follows a short break and perform another approach. The number of approaches can be equal to 2-3.
Training at home
You can do the exercise at home. The only difficulty is finding a suitable projectile on which to enclose the body. Therefore, you can train on the floor.
The person lies on the floor, hands behind his back, crossing them, or pulling his arms along the body. Then you need to try to raise the legs to a maximum height so that the hips are off the floor. To facilitate the exercise, you can stretch your arms in front of you. Then they need to be raised along with the lower limbs.
At home, you can also use a fitball to perform reverse hyperextension. To do this, the stomach fall on the surface of the ball, hands abut the floor and perform lifting legs.
Who is a reverse hyperextension contraindicated?
Perform the exercise can people with various diseases of the spine, for example, with a hernia, osteomyelitis, osteochondrosis.
However, for its implementation there are a number of limitations:
Spinal diseases in the acute stage.
Previous injuries of the lumbosacral.
How to avoid injuries during exercise?
Inverse hyperextension is recognized as a safe exercise, but it should be carried out carefully, following a number of rules. So, the surface on which a person falls, must necessarily be sustainable.
It is important to monitor the position of the back. It should be perfectly smooth. If you round your back, it can lead to poor posture.
The legs raise up on the exhale, and down on the inhale. Breathing should be uniform, without delays and interruptions.
The most common mistakes that trainees make are:
Sudden lifting legs, accompanied by jerks. This technique threatens to damage the muscles of the back.
At the initial stage of the exercise should not use weights.
The legs should stay straight all the time. They can not bend.
To exercise maximum benefit, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
During the exercise, the body should be kept stationary.
It is important to monitor the work of the muscles.
The muscles of the neck and body should not be in tension. Head should be kept smooth, without turning it back.
To increase the load on the biceps of the thigh, you need to turn the socks inside.
At the peak point, you should strain the muscles of the buttocks.
The amplitude of movement must be strictly observed.
Reverse hyperextension should be performed before training and after its completion.
If a weighting agent is used, it is put on its feet. You can also just hold the dumbbells lower limbs.
To further complicate the technique of doing the exercise, you can spread your legs in different directions in the ascent. However, this option is suitable for trained athletes. Moreover, the load on the joints increases, and the exercise becomes potentially dangerous.
As a warm-up before performing the reverse hyperextension, you can perform walking on the spot, or squats.
Reverse hyperextension is a great way to pump the gluteus, thigh and back muscles. Exercise allows you to get a beautiful trained body and improve your health.
Education: In 2005, he completed an internship at the First Moscow State Medical University named after I. M. Sechenov and received a diploma in the specialty “Neurology”. In 2009, graduate school in the specialty "Nervous Diseases".
6 myths about GMOs: the truth, which is not customary to talk about (scientific explanations)
How to get rid of unpleasant foot odor?
Very often, back pain causes serious illness and even disability. Famous doctors and scientists R. L Geli, D. W. Speed, R. R. Simon in 1995 provided statistics that suggest that back pain is the third most expensive disease after heart disease and cancer.
Back pain is one of the most common complaints of modern man. Often found, its type is localization in the interscapular region. The cunning of this pain syndrome lies in a variety of causal factors and developmental mechanisms. After all, interscapular localization of pain can be.
For a long time, people of fairly mature and elderly people referred to pain in the back area. To date, this problem torments even adolescent children. This is due, primarily, to a decrease in physical activity and impaired metabolic processes. Similar circumstances lead to.
Back pain on the right side can be caused by various disorders in the body, diseases, injuries and some other causes. In any case, you need to visit a specialist to establish the true cause of pain. Below is a list of diseases and conditions that can cause dull, aching or.
Stressful situations, nervous disorders - these are the reasons why most people go to hospitals with complaints of severe back pain. Recently, doctors have proven that a plant like St. John's wort helps to much improve the condition of patients. In addition, people who took drugs based on.
Almost everyone is familiar with this unpleasant feeling, when the back is shackled from pain and there is neither the ability nor the desire to move. And if pain occurs regularly, disrupting a person’s habitual life, then immediate, qualified help is required. Do not joke with this! In addition, doctors strongly oppose.
The first step in successfully dealing with back or lower back pain is to correctly determine the cause of its occurrence. The reason for the provision of specialized care can be lumbodynia and shooting along with hypothermia, lumbago, incarceration of the sciatic or other peripheral nerves, hernia of intervertebral disks.
The twisting exercises have a beneficial effect on the stretching of various muscles. A widespread and very effective set of such techniques - the Crocodile contributes to a powerful healing effect in the back area. It is important to perform all the exercises for twisting at the moment of holding the breath, as soon as you breathe in and tighten the abdominal muscles.
What is reverse hyperextension?
This is a type of classic exercise for the back and legs. Performing hyperextension on the buttocks, hip biceps, lumbar with a slight difference. In the usual version, it was necessary to fix the legs and lift the body upwards, while in the opposite version the body top remains motionless, and the work is done by the legs and gluteus muscles. This technique makes the exercise safer, the focus is shifted to the legs and bottom.
Technique of reverse hyperextension
This movement option is more suitable for girls who want to load their glutes, thighs and lower back. Reverse extension uses only the hip joint, which is highly durable and allows you to work with additional weight. Even with a full amplitude, the case remains fixed, so it is not necessary to worry about the load, not the spine. Remember that in any exercise, you should avoid sharp movements to prevent injuries. There are several important subtleties in the technique that you should be aware of:
- the thigh biceps will be stronger if the socks are wrapped inside,
- rocking should not be allowed to rise due to inertia,
- partial performance of the exercise will be more effective than complete, but with the risk of injury,
- exhale during the effort, inhale during the negative phase.
What muscle groups work
The main focus and work falls on the muscle groups of the back surface of the body. They are connected because of the need to stabilize the position of the body, to hold the legs. What muscles work in reverse hyperextension:
- semi-tendinous muscles, hip biceps,
- big buttocks
- square loins, extensors of the back.
The press and hands are connected to the work due to the need to hold the body in a fixed position. Some athletes are trying to increase the functionality of reverse extension and increase the load on the middle gluteal muscle. The athlete for this spreads the legs to the side when lifting, but the pressure on the joints with this technique increases, which makes this option potentially dangerous.
How to do reverse hyperextension
You can perform an exercise on a special simulator, on a simple bench, using a fitball or on the floor. Reverse hyperextension - a basic movement for the hips, buttocks and muscles of the extensors of the back. During the execution, it is necessary to rely on the middle, upper part of the press, to hold this position at the expense of the hands. To achieve maximum efficiency, you need to keep your body in tension even in the negative phase (not completely relaxing the legs). At the top point, you need to linger for a couple of seconds and control downwards.
Hyperextension for buttocks
Depending on the chosen simulator, you will occupy the starting position. Hyperextension with round back for the buttocks will give the maximum load on the gluteal muscles. The technique of performing back extensions remains the same for any type of projectile. The pivot point should always be the press, it should not fall on the hips, otherwise the amplitude will not be complete. Hyperextension on the buttocks is performed as follows:
- Raise a little feet from the floor, straining the buttocks, hips - this is the starting point. During repetitions there should not be complete relaxation even once.
- Raise your legs together as you exhale until you feel a peak (maximum) contraction of the main muscle groups. At the top point, the legs should not be lower than the body line. Focus on the work of the muscles of the hips, buttocks (the mental component of the workout is very important).
- At the highest point, you need to hold the position for a couple of seconds and as you exhale carefully lower it to its original position.
- Perform 12-15 repetitions, take a minute break, then another 2 sets.
Inverse hyperextension with hernia
If you receive various spinal injuries in a person, a spinal disc protrusion may occur. The same phenomenon is observed in the absence of exercise, a number of diseases. More often develops such pathology in the spine, thoracic. Reverse hyperextension in hernia helps to cope with the disease without causing additional damage to health.
For training is used a simulator, which resembles a bench. The option of reverse extension is considered safer under such pathology. Use the exercise as a basic or warm up before performing more active movements. During classes, you must adhere to the following rules:
- there should be smoothness, measured movements,
- precise amplitude control, a small number of repetitions,
- exact adherence to the technique that the instructor explains.
Reverse hyperextension at home
The mechanics of the exercise is relatively simple; it consists in tensioning the lumbar, gluteal muscles for the same thing as raising the legs up. Reverse hyperextension at home can be performed using a fitball, sofa, or even a table. In some cases (if there are no spinal injuries) you can do it lying on the floor. An important condition is to observe the technique and properly load the back so as not to injure it.
Reverse hyperextension exercises
If you do not have a simulator or fitball, you can perform a movement lying on the floor. Reverse hyperextension at home without a simulator is performed as follows:
- Put something soft on the floor, for example, a gymnastic mat, lie on your stomach.
- Extend your arms forward or under your chin.
- Squeeze tight legs, in a straight position start to lift up.
- 2-3 seconds delay them at the top point.
- Controlled, without throwing abruptly, lower down, but do not lay on the floor, there should not be complete relaxation.
- Repeat 10 times a few approaches.
Reverse hyperextension on fitball
This projectile is very popular when you need to conduct training at home. This is a universal simulator that helps to perform different exercises for all muscle groups of the body. Is the reverse hyperextension on fitball performed by the following algorithm?
- Lie on your stomach with your stomach, place your hands on the floor so that it is easier to keep your balance. You can take the table for greater reliability.
- Slowly lift your legs on the exhale, there should be no strong deflection in the lower back.
- Stand still for a few seconds, straining your buttocks, hips and back.
- When inhaling, lower to the starting position.
- Repeat until exercise, until the muscles begin to "burn".
- The main task is to keep the balance with your hands.
Reverse hyperextension on the bench
Sometimes they use an ordinary table for execution, as long as it is steady and durable and does not break. Well suited bench for reverse hyperextension, which can be purchased from the online store. It does not have to be long, you need to provide a dress for your body. Some models come immediately with handles, others are not provided. Then you should find a steady and heavy piece of furniture that could be tackled. The scheme for performing the reverse extension is as follows:
- Lie on the bench, the emphasis should fall on the top and the middle section of the abdominal muscles, the pelvis hanging down.
- Place your hands on the floor or grab a sofa / table / wardrobe.
- Inhale and begin to raise the legs due to the muscles of the buttocks, thighs.
- When they reach the parallel with the body, lock the position for 2-3 seconds.
- Exhale and return to the starting point.
- You need to perform 2-3 sets of 15 times.
Simulator for reverse hyperextension
In the store you can find many models of this projectile, but they all have the same principle. the design is a bench high or at the level of a person’s belt, with arms for fixation. Reverse extensions of the legs lying in the simulator can be carried out with the burdening. To do this, use special belts that are attached to the base with one end and to the legs of the second. When tensioned, they create resistance and additional load.
Video: Reverse hyperextension
Ekaterina, 25 years old I am training hard at the gym, constantly doing basic exercises, but I always felt that I didn’t have enough stress on my hips and buttocks. It was possible to achieve the desired result with the help of inverse hyperextension. I always do it at the end of the workout in order to finally kill the muscles.
Vitaly, 28 years old. Worked with a burden, and a light hurt his back. The doctor said that reverse recovery should be performed to restore, because it will help restore the muscular corset without the risk of a new injury. I do 3-4 approaches, 15 repetitions and this is enough to warm up the muscles, prepare them for the rest of the work.
Lena, 29 years old Because of the sedentary work began problems with the spine. After consulting a doctor, I was prescribed regular exercise. To extend the lumbar spine, the reverse extension is great. For girls, it is especially good, because in addition to the back, the gluteal muscles and thighs are trained, which helps in losing weight and shaping the legs.
First of all, the implementation of reverse hyperextension is aimed at developing the muscles of the back surface of the body.
In particular, these are the muscles of the hips, buttocks and back:
- big gluteal muscles
- biceps of the thigh, semi-tendinous muscles,
- extensors of the back, square muscles of the loin.
The function of stabilizing the position of the body is performed by the abdominal muscles, in the static work the hands (you hold them by the support).
Some athletes are trying to make the exercise more functional and additionally load the middle gluteus muscle. To do this, in theory, you need to separate the legs to the side during their ascent. This does not make sense, since the load on the average gluteus still remains insignificant, which means that the exercise does not affect their development. The pressure on the joints increases many times, and movement becomes potentially dangerous.
During the execution of the reverse hyperextension, the movement is performed only in one joint - the hip joint. It is quite large and strong, so the exercise allows, if necessary, to use a significant burden. However, in order to fully protect yourself from injuries and to make the exercise as comfortable as possible, you need a high-quality warm-up. For a few minutes, rotate the pelvis, do squats without weight, and walk in place, raising your knees high.
The benefits of exercise
Reverse hyperextensions are great for both beginners and experienced athletes. In particular, the exercise is recommended for girls, as it purposefully loads the buttocks and the back of the thighs.
This exercise has several advantages in comparison with the classic version of hyperextension:
- By shifting the stress from the waist to the muscles of the legs and buttocks, you can use a greater burden. This leads to faster and more pronounced muscular development.
- The risk of spinal injury is minimal. Reverse hyperextension is considered one of the therapeutic exercises in the presence of back pain and clamps caused by a sedentary lifestyle. Of course, if you have serious diseases of the spine, it is better to discuss the exercise with your doctor.
- Exercise does not clog the back. You can safely put the reverse hyperextension in front of the bollard or squatting with a barbell. While the classic movement is performed after the basic exercises.
Reverse hyperextension can be done on a special simulator, a Roman chair, a bench and on any other surface on which you can lie down with your stomach and lower your legs. Regardless of which simulator you choose, your press will be the reference point.
So, fix the position of the body with your hands, firmly holding the simulator or bench with your palms. Now you are ready to start the exercise.
- Slightly lift the legs off the floor, straining the hips and buttocks. This is the starting position. During the exercise, the muscles should not be completely relaxed.
- As you exhale, lift your legs together until you feel a peak muscle contraction. Legs should be raised no lower than a straight line with the body. Accentuate effort on the buttocks and thighs - mental control is very important.
- Hold in the extreme position for a second, then while inhaling, slowly lower your legs to the starting position.
- Repeat 12-15 times. Relax for 1 minute and take another 2-3 approaches.
Despite the fact that beginners can immediately start classes with some burden, go responsibly to the choice of a suitable weight. You should not take too heavy dumbbells or weighting, as in this case you can not perform movement with the perfect technique. Always remember that quality is more important than quantity.
This exercise has become widespread in the field of physical therapy. This is due not only to the fact that it strengthens the muscles of the back, but also because it stretches the spine perfectly. For this purpose, it is included in the end of the training complex, and after that an additional series of stretch marks is performed without the use of simulators.
In order to achieve the perfect technique of performing reverse hyperextension, follow these rules:
- Do not turn on body muscles while lifting legs. This not only makes the exercise ineffective, but can also cause lumbar injury. Also, be careful not to overstress the neck. This can cause stretching of the muscles. Keep your head level and do not throw it back.
- If you have fully mastered the movement and easily complete the maximum number of repetitions, complicate the task with the help of a burden. To do this, hold a small dumbbell or weighted ball between your feet. You can additionally fix the weight with ropes. In those cases when it is not possible to make a complete approach with a burden, simply lower the weight on the floor and finish the muscles with repetitions without burdening.
- Keep the maximum amplitude given and do not let the leg muscles relax at the lowest point.
- To more heavily load the biceps of the thigh, fold the toes of the feet inward.
- Avoid repetitions due to jerks and inertial forces. If you are tired, it is better to finish the exercise or lose weight. Rocking may cause injury.
Performing reverse hyperextension is a great way to work through the buttocks, hip biceps, and extensor muscles. With a good amplitude of movement, the muscles get not only a load in the positive phase of the movement, but also a qualitative stretch in the negative.
What is hyperextension?
Many people mistakenly believe that this exercise is designed to work out the buttocks, but in fact it is not. In figuring out what hyperextension is, what muscles work and what results can be obtained, it is worth noting that the main load falls on the lower back and the back of the thighs. It is important to point out one feature - while the hyperextension is being done, the short muscles of the spine are involved in the work, which cannot be developed by performing other movements. During the execution of hyperextension, the calf and gluteus abdominus is trained.
Hyperextension - benefit and harm
Each exercise has its advantages and disadvantages, which must be taken into account without fail. The results depend on the correctness of the hyperextension, since even small deviations from the norm can cause injury, and positive changes in this case can also be avoided. For those who are interested in what the hyperextension gives, it will be interesting to learn that it is useful to do the exercises for people who want to lose weight and improve the relief of their body.
Differences from the classic and what it is
Very many novice athletes are interested in what is the reverse hyperextension and how does it differ from the usual, that is, classical? So the difference is:
- Classic option. Here is the rise of the body with a preliminary fixation of the legs.
- In the opposite version, the body is fixed, and the muscles work by lifting the legs.
What muscles are involved
Reverse hyperextensions are aimed at pumping the muscles located on the back surface of the athlete's body. What parts of the body do the muscles work on:
- Thighs - hamstrings.
- The buttocks are the gluteus maximus muscle.
- The backs are extensors and lower back muscles.
- Press - stabilization of the body position.
- Hands - get a static load, because the athlete holds on to the support.
When performing the inverse hyperextension, only the hip joint moves, due to the strength of which the burdening can be used.
But, in order to reliably insure yourself against possible injuries, careful warm-up is necessary. To do this in a few minutes you need to perform:
- Rotary movement of the pelvis.
- To step on the spot with a high knee lift.
- Squat without burdens.
This hyperextension is also notable for the fact that it is equally suitable for experienced athletes as well as for inexperienced beginners.
Most of all, it is recommended for girls, because it emphasizes the load:
- On the gluteal muscles.
- On the biceps of the thigh.
In addition, this exercise is recommended for those who spend a sedentary life most of the day, as a result of which clamps occur in the back and pain occurs.
If you have problems with the spine, before starting classes, you should consult a doctor!
And, nevertheless, the inverse hyperextension not only does not clog the back muscles, but also has a pronounced therapeutic effect. It is used as a prophylactic agent, and for the treatment of this disease.
As for the risk of spinal injury, it is minimal.
Exercise can be safely put before performing such heavy training as deadlift or squatting with a barbell. But in the classic version everything is done exactly the opposite.
A special simulator (machine) for performing hyperextension is in any decent fitness center.
They are governed by the growth of the athlete, and can also vary and slope. There may be additional functions - it all depends on the design.
If desired, such can be purchased at least in a specialized store, at least on the Internet. Of course, that machine costs money, sometimes a lot.
In order not to be disappointed in the purchase and not to waste money, you need to consider the following:
- The choice is desirable to stop only on well-known brands.
- The machine should not be limited in weight and be stable.
- Foot support is preferably as wide as possible for proper comfort.
- The presence of adjustments required.
How to do
Of great importance is the technique of hyperextension. It is done both on special simulators to perform reverse hyperextension, and on other complex and simple devices:
- The so-called "Roman chair".
- It is done on any horizontal plane - a sofa, chairs, or simply on the floor.
Of course, it will be better if you can not only lie down on your stomach on this plane, but also lower your own legs - the effect will increase a lot.
Regardless of the chosen simulator, the athlete's press will be the main support. Technique:
- You need to fix your own body with your hands, which should be firmly held on the simulator or a bench. It is after such a starting position that you can begin the exercise.
- Next, you need to raise the legs from the floor surface, with the buttocks and thighs. This will be the starting position. During the execution of the muscles should not relax completely.
- During exhalation, you need to raise the combined legs, so that you can feel the peak of muscle contraction. In this case, the lower limbs and the body should be raised, so that, at least, a straight line is formed together.
- In the extreme phase, a second fixation should be made, and then, as you breathe in, the legs slowly lower into the starting position.
3 sets of 15 repetitions are performed. Rest between sets is one minute.
In addition to all the above, consider the following:
- Novice athletes can perform hyperextension with weights literally from day one. However, you should not be thoughtlessly chasing after large weights - they need to be chosen intelligently, listening to the reaction of your own body and body.
- Unnecessarily large weight dumbbells (weighting) in any case will negatively affect the technique of performing any exercise. One way or another, quality is always the priority, not quantity.
- Do not include the muscles of the body at the moment when the athlete raises his legs. This not only does not give the desired effect, but will also multiply the probability of lumbar injury.
- Watch out for neck overvoltage - stretching is possible. The head should be kept straight, without tilting it back.
- If the exercise is mastered and done too easily with the right amount of approaches and repetitions, then you need to complicate the task using burdens. This object can be a small dumbbell, weighted ball, sandwiched between the feet. Cargo for reliability can be tied or secured in any way possible.
- The amplitude should be correct, and in the lower phase of the exercise, you should not let your leg muscles relax.
- For better loading of the bicep of the thigh, the toes of the feet should be brought inside.
- Increasing repetitions due to inertia and jerking (cheating) should not be. If you are very tired, you can reduce the weight or just finish the exercise.
This exercise is widespread, has weight in the field of physical therapy.
It not only strengthens the spinal muscles, but also has a positive effect on the spine, stretching it. That is why it closes the training complex, and after it they stretch without using any simulators.
Training at home
Not always and not everyone succeeds in training in the gym. This is due to the following reasons:
- Lack of time to go to the fitness center.
- Not enough money to pay for a subscription, and even more so for training under the supervision of a trainer.
- Complexity due to large crowds and shortcomings of his own body.
But there is always a way out, in that case if a person really wants to train. It is then that a person is looking for opportunities for alternative training and finds it. One of the options - classes at home. They are subdivided:
- Classes in the yard, on the sports ground in the warm season.
- Training in the apartment, in the country or in your own home.
Being on the street, on the sports ground, you can use (if any) two horizontal parallel pipes located at the same height.It is necessary to lie with the body (across) on them so that the legs hang freely down, firmly holding hands on one of them. The technique is the same.
The only drawback is that such a projectile is somewhat harsh, and for convenience you need to throw something soft on it.
At home, you can use a pair of chairs, a sofa, a bed or a bench, if available.
In the end, you can engage and on the floor, as already mentioned.
Unlike a direct hyperextension, an athlete can do without an assistant, although the presence of such sets a certain sports ardor and the spirit of healthy competition. So it is safe to say that hyperextension at home is not only possible, but also widely applicable.
Train with fitball
Fitball is a special ball for performing inverse hyperextension. How to do the exercise:
- You need to lie down with your stomach in such a way that the pelvic part is located at the center of the ball.
- At the same time, you can hold on to anything, ranging from heavy dumbbells or weights to the wall bars (if any) or the same central heating radiator, pipe, etc.
- Starting position - relaxed, lying on the ball and holding hands for reliable support.
- Taking a breath you need to raise your legs smoothly while pulling the socks of your feet. This is how the maximum leg lift is done.
- When lowering the lower limbs, it is important not to relax until the end, but only to touch the floor with the toes - the body in this position is a straight line.
The speed of the exercise should coincide with the speed of measured breathing. 5-7 repetitions with two or three approaches enough to work out the right muscles.
Hyperextension - use
In addition, the exercise is effective for working out the muscles of the back surface of the body, it has other advantages:
- When performing an exercise without additional weight and in combination with the workout of the press, you can get rid of pain in the lumbar region.
- With regular hyperextension, you can maintain the tone of the muscular system and strengthen the spine.
- It is believed that the correct implementation of the exercise is an excellent prevention of intervertebral hernia.
- It is recommended to make such movements for people who lead a sedentary lifestyle, since their muscles lose their elasticity and become weak.
- In finding out how hyperextension is useful, it should be pointed out that it will be an excellent warm-up before heavy exercises for developing back muscles, for example, before a deadlift.
Hyperextension - harm
Exercise is contraindicated for people who have serious problems with the spine. In any case, before proceeding to enhanced training, you must consult with your doctor. Harmful hyperextension for the spine can bring, if it is performed incorrectly, the most common mistakes include: a strong deflection in the spine during lifting, a deep bend forward, flexing the legs at the knees, throwing the head and using excessive load.
Extention and hyperextension - the difference
Due to the fact that many terms are unknown to most people, and especially to beginner athletes, many questions arise. For example, many people think that hyperextension and extension are different exercises, but in reality this is not the case. If the meaning of the first term is clear, the second means straightening and extension. From this we can conclude that the two concepts presented describe the same action, since hypertension is also an extension of the body. The term "extension" is applicable to other exercises.
What is better hyperextension or deadlift?
For proper comparison, you need to consider who performs them, and what goal of training is set. Beginners better choose exercise hyperextension, because the muscles are not yet ready for a serious load. In comparison with the stanovoy it becomes not so much burdens the connective tissue and the spine. Experienced athletes who want to work out the muscles well, it is better to use hyperextension as a workout.
Hyperextension - performance technique
First you need to adjust the height of the simulator so that it fits the height. It is important that the front rollers are in a place where there will be a fold between the lower back and upper thighs. As for the lower rollers, they should be placed so as to be above the Achilles tendon. There is a scheme how to properly do hyperextension:
- Place yourself on a special bench, face down, fixing your shins under the rollers.
- Keep your torso straight as shown. You can hold your hands behind your head, but you don’t need to lock them together, as this will create an unnecessary strain on the neck. Another option for the position of the hands - cross them on the chest. Advanced athletes can pick up a pancake from the bar and keep it at the chest.
- While breathing in, slowly lean forward, but do not round the back, but keep it straight. It is necessary to bend downwards until stretching in the back of the thigh is felt. Another signal to stop is that it is impossible to continue moving without rounding the back.
- Making the exhale, lift the body, taking the initial position. It is important to do nothing abruptly, as this is fraught with injury.
There is lateral hyperextension, which helps to work out the oblique abdominal muscles. The bench should be set at an angle of 20-45 degrees.
- Take a lateral position, securing the outer part of the foot under the rollers.
- Lead the upper arm to the arm and behind the head.
- Lower the body down to feel the stretching of the lateral muscles. Hold for a couple of seconds and return to the starting position.
Inverse hyperextension - performance technique
Unlike the classic version of the exercise, reverse hyperextension has several advantages:
- Since during exercise, the load is shifted from the waist to the legs and buttocks, you can use a large burden, which has a positive effect on the result.
- Reverse hyperextension does not clog the back, so it can be used before the deadlift or squats.
- Another significant plus is that the risk of spinal injury is minimal and this variant of the exercise is recommended if there is discomfort in the back area.
To perform reverse hyperextension in the gym, you must first set the appropriate weight on a special simulator.
- Stay on the simulator, holding the special handles, and start your feet by the rollers.
- It is necessary to begin the movement, having submitted a little legs forward, and then, take them as far as possible back. At the end it is recommended to make a small stop.
- Return the legs to the starting position and do the required number of repetitions.
Hyperextension at home without a simulator
If it is not possible to go to the gym, this is not a reason to refuse to perform hyperextension, because there are exercise options for which special equipment is not required. Hyperextension without a simulator can be performed on a fitball.
- Sit on the fitball so that the belly is pressed against the ball and the upper part of the body is parallel to the floor. To keep balance, it is necessary to toes to rest on the floor. Hands better to keep near the head.
- While exhaling, slowly lift the body up, sagging at the waist. At the top point, hold for a few seconds, while straining the bottom spin.
- Inhaling, lower to the starting position. Make the required number of repetitions.
Hyperextension for girls at home can be performed on the bench, but in this case without the help of a partner can not do. Immediately it should be said that the amplitude of movement will be less than in the case of training on a special simulator.
- Sit on a horizontal bench so that your hips are on the edge and you can freely bend forward, bending at the waist and not feeling any discomfort. The helper must stand back and hold his legs firmly so that the training person does not roll forward.
- Cross your arms on your chest or keep them near your head. Experienced athletes can use extra weight.
- While breathing in, slowly lean forward without rounding the back. The slope should be as high as possible.
- Doing exhale, lifting the body and returning it to the initial position. During training, you can not make sudden movements, because it can cause injury.
How to breathe with hyperextension?
Professional trainers claim that in many ways the results of the exercises depend on proper breathing. With it, you can avoid disturbances in blood circulation. In any exercise, it is important to have proper breathing, hyperextension is no exception. Inhalation should be carried out while the body receives the load, that is, when lifting, and exhalation is done with relaxation (tilting).
Hyperextension - training program
It is necessary to include an exercise in a complex aimed at working out the back. Horizontal hypertension on the advice of coaches should be performed at the end of the complex, and the opposite, on the contrary, before the basic exercises. The number of repetitions and additionally used weight must be selected depending on the goal. As an example, you can focus on the recommendations presented in tabular form.